Non-Parent Rights

Request A Consultation

Colorado Non-Parent/Grandparent Rights Attorney

Typically grandparents do not have many rights to their grandchildren under Colorado law, but that changes if the children have been living with the grandparent for six (6) months or longer. A non-parent, including grandparents or stepparents, may file a Petition for Allocation of Parental Responsibilities if they have had physical care of the children for a period of six (6) months or more if such action is commenced within six (6) moths of the termination of physical care.

Thisuri Wanniarachchi
“Life is at its best when everything has fallen out of place, and you decide that you’re going to fight to get them right”

What We DO & What We DON’T Do


  • We DO develop relationships and take the time to know each client by name. Each client is guaranteed to work, one-on-one, with Attorney Shepard.
  • We DO exercise compassion, empathy and careful planning with family law issues because we recognize their sensitive nature and the difficulty that accompanies their emotional interactions.
  • We DO take the time to allow you to be as actively involved in the planning and commencement of your case as you would like to be.


  • We DON’T pass you off to associate attorneys like big firms. At Shepard Law, You pay for the representation you deserve, which means working directly with Attorney Shepard.
  • We DON’T use stock Motions. Each submission to the court is tailored to you – you’re an individual with a unique case, and deserve to be treated as such.
  • We DON’T view you as a means to income. Each client is a person facing real life challenges. There’s no one-size-fits-all solution. We work to meet your needs on everything from payment plans to specific outcomes.